Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Spring Is Sprung...........

Looking back over the last few weeks, I am sorry to see that I have been a bit of an old grump. In my defence, I might suggest that even Pollyanna, had she been a JP, might have found 2009 Britain a bit challenging, but let that pass.
It's nice and warm today, to the west of London. The trees are budding, the birds are nesting (especially the wood pigeons, who seem even more randy than ever this year - I can't imagine how they find time to build a nest). The recession is, as expected, nasty for quite a few people, including a few of my friends, but an encouraging number of those who have lost their jobs have found something else, even if the new post is less exalted than they were used to. At least they can pay the mortgage.
Many locals have the builders in, which is good news for the shovel-and-bucket merchants. Quite a few shops in the town are empty, but to be fair, most of those were pretty hopeless anyway, selling stuff of dubious attractiveness at improbable prices. Easter in the local park was wonderful, with hundreds of children on the newly-re-equipped playground and all of our High Street coffee shops packed. My local pub seemed quiet when I got there on Monday until I looked in the garden and saw dozens of families out in the sunshine.
So begone dull care! I'm going to cheer up, whether you like it or not. I have one sitting to come this week, so I shall attempt to adjudicate in my most avuncular manner. Let's just hope that the CPS, or HMCS, or any of my other Betes Noires don't spoil it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts are pre-moderated. Please bear with us if this takes a little time, but the number of bores and obsessives was getting out of hand, as were the fake comments advertising rubbish.